The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organisation with the exclusively humanitarian mission to protect the lives and dignity of victims of war and internal violence and to provide them with assistance.
It also endeavours to prevent suffering by promoting and strengthening International Humanitarian Law and universal humanitarian principles.
The ICRC’s Somalia Delegation in Nairobi implements the institution’s humanitarian activities in Somalia.
Community Hygiene Water & Sanitation Promotion Engineer
(Based in Somalia)
The Water & Habitat Unit carries out various projects in Somalia which include undertaking construction and rehabilitation projects in prisons.
In the frame of its activities, the Somali Delegation in Nairobi is seeking a skilled and highly motivated Somali national or origin to fill the Water and Habitat (Hygiene Promotion) position, based in Somalia (various locations).
- Project management of urban, rural community programs;
- Provide and facilitate hygiene & community management training as required;
- Participate & supervise in hygiene promotion sessions in rural areas;
- Offering support to the Wathab program management;
- Conduct hygiene promotion in places of detention;
- Assistance in distribution of hygiene materials;
- Education of prison authorities in hygiene practices procedures;
- Implement contracts for ICRC projects and deal directly with contractors on the ground;
- Organize for and provide technical training and support to ICRC staff.
- Degree of Bachelor of Science (Civil Engineering and/or Health Education) or related field of work;
- Minimum of 2 years experience in implementing and supervising projects; previous experience as a Health Educator / community mobiliser desirable;
- Excellent computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, any other interactive software like AutoCAD is an asset);
- Ability to read and produce technical drawings;
- Excellent command of English and Somali languages.
- Experience in humanitarian work;
- Flexibility and willingness to be based in various regions and travel inside Somalia, and ability to work in hardship areas;
- Good report writing and administrative skills, ability to supervise and train staff;
- Experience in supervising construction teams on site;
- Ability to design simple structures, such as small buildings, concrete slabs, etc;
- Maturity in dealing with sensitive matters in a highly confidential manner.
Interested persons (of Somali nationality or origin), with the required background and experience are invited to submit their application to the Head of Human Resources on the below address, before 31st August, 2013.
Please include: Copies of ID papers, detailed curriculum vitae, current and expected remuneration and contact details of three referees.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
International Committee of the Red Cross, Somalia Delegation,
Denis Pritt Road,
P.O Box 73226, Nairobi, 00200, Kenya